Thursday 26 July 2012

Written City 3: LIVIN G SLEEPING


Today I finally got round to documenting this favourite piece of urban text that I regularly see on my drive to work.




The building concerned is an ugly, gaudy edifice housing a discount furniture store and replete with brash blocky text across its topmost windows.  Most of the panes spell ‘BEDS BEDS BEDS’, but my eye is always drawn to the legend ‘LIVIN G SLEEPING’ positioned at one end.




The two words face me directly as I wait for the traffic lights to change and seem ripe with potential interpretations.  One might read them as a comment on our collective state of hypnotised consumerism, lack of intellectual curiosity or, more prosaically, on my usual state of alertness at that time of the morning.  Cities are full of texts like this and I love the way a mundane or utilitarian phrase can become redolent with ambiguous poetry or be mentally detourned into completely new or contrary meanings.  This one could easily translate into a typical Situationist slogan.




I anticipated difficulties in finding a suitable camera angle as the building sits on a busy roundabout, adjacent to large flyover and amidst a visual clutter of lampposts, road signs and traffic and nearly scrapped my plan when I saw the building being painted.  Then I realised the men on their lift and incomplete area of new colour added an extra dimension to the images.  In addition to their textual content, they now relate to my interest in urban transformation and, of course, the very act of painting.




The choice of lime green against that red steel work should wake me up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment