Monday 20 August 2012

Completed Studies




Every year, I anticipate the educational summer break avidly and make ambitious plans about how I’ll spend the time and how many paintings I’ll complete.  Then, at some point in August I realise the holiday’s nearly over just as I’m getting into my stride.  It's not like the work doesn't continue throughout the year, but there's no substitute for a solid block of uninterrupted working time.  This summer’s been no different but I won’t whinge too much, - I know these official breaks from reality are a luxury most employed folk can only dream of.

Untitled Study, ('No & Red Arrow'), Acrylics & Paper
Collage On Paper, 600 mm X 450 mm, 2012
Untitled Study, ('Heart & Asterisk'), Acrylics & Paper
Collage On Paper, 450 mm X 300 mm, 2012

As I write, I’m making good progress with my latest painting but am very conscious of the need to devote most of my remaining week of ‘leisure’ to completing it before the new school term begins.  We’ll see…

Untitled Study, ('A'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
On Paper, 300 mm X 200 mm, 2012
Untitled Study, ('D'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
On Paper, 300 mm X 200 mm, 2012
Untitled Study, ('E'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
On Paper, 300 mm X 200 mm 2012

The handful of additional studies here are independent images in their own right and represent a fairly intuitive process of ongoing experimentation.  The intention is partly to compile an extensive library of characters, symbols and signs without worrying over any deeper significance.  I’m already wondering about compiling a set of 26 small ones into an oblique alphabet.  As ever, it’ll only happen if I can juggle my time effectively but forming the  intention is half the battle.

Untitled Study, ('N'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
On paper, 300 mm X 200 mm, 2012
Untitled Study, ('R'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
 On Paper, 300 mm X 200 mm, 2012
Untitled Study, ('U'), Acrylics & Paper Collage
On Paper, 300 mm X 200 mm, 2012

Previously, I’ve mostly pursued this kind of thing in a sketchbook so this really just marks a slightly more ambitious move to get ‘the process’ up there on the wall with the finished paintings.



No comments:

Post a Comment