Thursday 17 January 2013

Completed 'Risk Assessment 1 & 2'



At the start of the year, I find myself between creative projects with different ideas occupying my mind and vying for attention.  The start of the new school term means my day job now claims much of my waking time and energy again after the luxury of the holidays, just as I'd love to be putting more hours into unraveling some of those mental strands.


'Risk Assessment 1: Break Your Bones', Acrylics & Paper
Collage on Paper, 60 cm X 45 cm, 2013

The main thing is to recognize that these periods of seeking visual stimuli, contemplating possibilities and generally sorting wheat from chaff are all part of the creative process.  Freed from any concerns that I might be losing overall momentum, as once might have happened, I now understand it's important to put in the spade work of research and experimentation on the understanding that eventually a coherent plan of attack will emerge.  Last time I felt this way I remembered the importance of compartmentalizing everything into identifiable motivations, specific visual triggers and discrete themes, to have something clearly defined to pursue, and to understand where the connections and over-laps might exist.  At such times I often find myself filling the pages of a pocket sketchbook with spidery written notes and lists whilst juggling images.


Lincoln, December 2012 
Lincoln, December 2012
Lincoln, December 2012 
Lincoln, December 2012

Something I have done since Christmas is to take lots of photographs.  Amongst these are numerous examples of Heath & Safety signage and, in particular, hazard stripe graphics.  I posted some recently and include more here, including one or two that demonstrate my current desire to get a wider range of expressive qualities into my photography, both in-camera and through post production.  At present, they seem to be pointing towards an overall theme that I'm provisionally titling 'Risk Assessment' or maybe 'Take Good Care' in order to ring fence it mentally.


Tollerton, Nottinghamshire, January 2013
Tollerton, Nottinghamshire, January 2013 
Tollerton, Nottinghamshire, January 2013
Leicester, December 2012

I've also produced a couple of paper-based pieces that may become part of a small series of experiments around the theme.  These are quite uncompromising in their textual component and feel like an attempt to vent the angry frustrations that clouded my own mundane existence a few weeks ago and which emerge whenever I tune to the radio news.  They point towards a juxtaposition of the risk/responsibility-aversion of H&S culture with the real and terrifying existential crises revealed through daily news bulletins.  No one ever writes a document entitled 'Risk of Civil War', Risk of Religious Fanaticism’ or 'Risk of Inability to Afford Basic Needs In An Uncaring Society'.  They're more like a crude reaction than a thoroughly considered final statement but sometimes it's healthier to externalize stuff than to let it fester.


'Risk Assessment 2: Cut Your Throat', Acrylics & Paper
Collage on Paper, 60 cm X 45 cm, 2013

Several other identifiable ideas are beginning to coalesce in my mind, camera and sketchbook and which, hopefully, I'll discuss here once I’ve made a little more sense of them.

Grantham, Lincolnshire, January 2013 
Grantham, Lincolnshire, January 2013
Grantham, Lincolnshire, January 2013
Grantham, Lincolnshire, January 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment