Tuesday 3 December 2013

Belgrave Gate Project 7: Over & Under And Round & Round



Belgrave Flyover, Belgrave Circle, Leicester November 2013


As we slide into December and the days grow ever shorter, I feel like I’ve spent most of the year complaining about my creative frustrations.  There have been no shortage of ideas, (or commitment to them), but, for various reasons, everything got a bit fragmented and undirected this year.  Most annoyingly, the luxurious academic summer holidays found me plagued by various health niggles and singularly lacking in energy.  Some work was done, but without fully capitalising on that valuable block of available time.



The Woodsman, Belgrave Gate, Leicester, November 2013


I’ll probably look back on the year, in a few weeks, and find that plenty did happen really, but that it was mostly in the form of smaller, paper based pieces, extensive photographs, tentative writings and, (most intriguingly), experiments with video.  At the turn of the year I stated my intention to augment my core painting and photographic activities with other media, and that certainly has started to happen.  However, inevitably, it’s one of the reasons why things seem to be spread rather thin and there are less fully resolved paintings, to show for the year.



Belgrave Flyover, Belgrave Road, Leicester, October 2013


I’ve also caused myself problems by having too many seperate projects on the go at once, (five at the last count), each of which has the potential to become an extended body of work.  It’s great that I’ve been finding visual (and intellectual), stimulus all over the place; and identifying and compartmentalising distinct strands within it all does help to keep things reasonably focused, at least.  Unfortunately though, it also emphasises that my day job leaves only so many hours in the day/week/month, even when I’m using the time energetically.  A definite resolution for next year is to focus on consolidating existing stuff before I load any more creative shotguns.



Belgrave Flyover, Belgrave Road, Leicester, November 2013


Belgrave Flyover, Belgrave Circle, Leicester, October 2013


Anyway, enough moaning.  At no point has the work actually stopped, and the last few weeks have seen me applying myself with renewed vigour.  This is, in part, due to an external deadline of the most unavoidable kind, (see below).  I’ve spent much of that time with both still and video cameras around one of the two major flyover/roundabout conjunctions that characterise the area of Leicester covered by my ‘Belgrave Gate Project’.  When not there, I’ve repeatedly driven around both roundabouts and over the flyovers that transcend them, shooting video through the car windscreen courtesy of a very homemade, but fairly effective, dashboard camera mount, (it fits my Fabia pretty well, - I’m happy to license the rights to Skoda, for the right fee).



Told You It Was Very Homemade


There must be considerable CCTV footage of me performing these slightly eccentric manoeuvers already, so I should assure the authorities that my motives are benign and that everything is hands-free.  Revealingly, I now realise that pretty much any mundane activity can now become an art activity for me.  The normally frustrating stop-start tedium of driving in rush hour traffic has been translated into a captivating, strangely hypnotic stream of visual consciousness when played back on screen.  Of course, another drain on my time will be teaching myself to edit all this footage into something coherent.  Anyone want to pay me a modest stipend to give up work and just spend the rest of my days indulging myself with all this? (I thought not).



Sainsbury's Supermarket, Belgrave Road, Leicester, October 2013


Extra hours have also been devoted to collecting visual information in the car park of the adjacent Sainsbury’s supermarket.  Having faffed about over summer, I suddenly realised that their closure and relocation is upon us, and that the subsequent contested demolition of the flyover next to the site is likely to commence in the New Year.  The chance to document all this change should, of course, be a gift to the overall long-term project, (urban transformation being one of my preoccupations), but any ‘Before-During-After’ story relies on there being enough of the ‘Before’ to really tell the tale.



Sainsbury's Supermarket, Belgrave Road, Leicester, November 2013


For the time being, it’s a case of just seeing the year out as productively as I can and picking up the ball again as quickly as possible after the inevitable festive hiatus.  The hard drives are bursting at the seams; another of the mysterious paper-based ‘Clue’ pieces has reached completion; and a full-blown ‘Belgrave Gate’ painting is all planned, and under way.  Physiotherapy and an introduction to Pilates [1.], seem to be keeping me a little more mobile; and December should (hopefully) see an end to my distracting dental problems.  It seems that 2013 may be ending with rather more momentum than was evident six months ago.



Sainsbury's Supermarket, Belgrave Road, Leicester, November 2013




[1.]:  Many thanks, Di McDermott.  I know it’s been a heavy year for you too.



No comments:

Post a Comment