Sunday 26 November 2017

Completed Mixed Media Piece: 'Fridge 2'




All Images: 'Fridge 2', Acrylics, Paper Collage, Mixed Media, Screen Print, Spray Enamel
& Magnetic Letters On Fridge Door, 106 cm X 60 cm, 2017 


Here’s the second of my completed ‘Fridge’ pieces, and there’s relatively little to add to the background information already given in my ‘Fridge 1’ post.




The main development here is in the allusion to another key motif pertaining to my overall ‘This S(c)eptic Isle’ project.  In this case, it’s the small silver nitrous oxide capsules that litter the gutters and lay-bys of this hilarious realm.  They certainly pepper the ground in my own neighbourhood, and recently, I’ve often stopped to collect them on my recent cycle commutes through the city.  For many now, it seems the best way to have a few laughs is to inhale them in gaseous doses.









Does this seem like a bleak prospect, or just another rationed way to access pre-verbal expression in uncertain times?  What happens when laughter is uncoupled from humour and commodified in the form of silver bullets?






No comments:

Post a Comment